First a warning. Do not confuse nails with fingernails. Nails are made of metal and are not stuck to your fingers. Hitting nails with hammer does not cause pain, hitting fingernails does.
1. In one hand grab nail between fingertips.
2. Press the pointy end towards the wood and the flat end towards you.
3. Using the other hand, grab the hammer by the handle.
4. Swing the hammer firmly and accurately, causing the flat part of the hammer head to hit directly onto the flat end of the nail.
5. Repeat until nail is stuck to wood.
6. Stop grabbing the nail between fingertips and move the hand away from the nail.
7. Keep on swinging the hammer in the other hand and hitting the flat end of the nail until it has reached desired depth.
8. Stop swinging the hammer.
9. Repeat steps 1 to 8 until desired number of nails has been nailed to the wood.